Dr. Chris Carruthers is a corporate director and a consultant in
health care focusing on issues affecting physicians.
areas of expertise
- Hospitals and Health Care Systems
- Advising boards and management to support them in addressing unique challenges and complex issues.
- Encore Careers
- Physician Retirement Workshops: Helping physicians in their transition to retirement addressing the non financial issues.
More Info About Workshops
- Not-For-Profit Boards
- Supporting not-for-profit boards on governance particularly health care boards.
- Physician Leader Mentoring and Coaching
- Supporting the development of physician leadership competencies to ensure organizational medical leadership success.
- Organizing and presenting workshops teaching physicians and others management skills.
- Hospital and Physician Engagement
- Supporting hospitals to improve physician engagement. Advising hospitals on specific physician issues.
Leading from the Front
Experiences of Canadian Physician Leaders
Editor: Chris Carruthers MD and Patricia Lightfoot DPhil
Now available from the Canadian Medical Association.
Dr. Christopher Carruthers was born and raised in Sarnia, Ontario.
For most of his career he practiced orthopedic surgery. Today he is a corporate director and a consultant working with health care and similar organizations. Recently he has planned and participated in workshops through the Physician Leadership Institute to help physicians learn how to influence boards. He also has held workshops for physicians planning their transition into retirement.
He was the previous Chief of Staff of The Ottawa Hospital (1998-2008). In February 2013 he was appointed interim Chief of Staff of Bruyère Continuing Care for 8 months.
In the past he has held several senior medical executive positions including Chief of Staff, Vice President of Medical Affairs, President of the Medical Staff, and acting CEO at the former Ottawa Civic Hospital.
He is a graduate of Carleton University (BSc.), the University of Ottawa (MD), and Concordia University’s Executive MBA program. He is a past surveyor for Accreditation Canada.
He is a founder and the first president of The Canadian Society of Physician Leaders.
He has been a director on 19 boards and is a current director of these boards: Carleton University (Chair), Ottawa International Airport Authority and Mach-Gaensslen Foundation (Chair).
He is a past director of the board of Canadian Society of Physician Leaders, Canadian Blood Services, Accreditation Canada, The Ottawa Hospital, The Ottawa Hospital Foundation, The University of Ottawa Heart Institute, The Ontario Hospital Association, Ottawa Flying Club, Ashbury College and others. He is a past Chair of the Ashbury College Board and Ashbury College Foundation.
Dr. Carruthers has completed the Directors Education Program sponsored by the Institute of Corporate Directors and is a certified director of the Institute of Corporate Directors.