Dr. Chris Carruthers is a corporate director and a consultant in
health care focusing on issues affecting physicians.
areas of expertise
- Hospitals and Health Care Systems
- Advising boards and management to support them in addressing unique challenges and complex issues.
- Encore Careers
- Physician Retirement Workshops: Helping physicians in their transition to retirement addressing the non financial issues.
More Info About Workshops
- Not-For-Profit Boards
- Supporting not-for-profit boards on governance particularly health care boards.
- Physician Leader Mentoring and Coaching
- Supporting the development of physician leadership competencies to ensure organizational medical leadership success.
- Organizing and presenting workshops teaching physicians and others management skills.
- Hospital and Physician Engagement
- Supporting hospitals to improve physician engagement. Advising hospitals on specific physician issues.
Leading from the Front
Experiences of Canadian Physician Leaders
Editor: Chris Carruthers MD and Patricia Lightfoot DPhil
Now available from the Canadian Medical Association.
Dr. Christopher Carruthers was born and raised in Sarnia, Ontario.
For most of his career he practiced orthopedic surgery. Today he is a corporate director and a consultant working with health care and similar organizations. Recently he has planned and participated in workshops through the Physician Leadership Institute to help physicians learn how to influence boards. He also has held workshops for physicians planning their transition into retirement.
He was the previous Chief of Staff of The Ottawa Hospital (1998-2008). He was the interim Chief of Staff at Bruyère Continuing Care from February 2013 to November 2013.
In the past he has held several senior medical executive positions including Chief of Staff, Vice President of Medical Affairs, President of the Medical Staff, and acting CEO, at the former Ottawa Civic Hospital.
He is a graduate of Carleton University (BSc.), the University of Ottawa (MD), and Concordia University’s Executive MBA program. He is a past surveyor for the Canadian Council on Health Facilities Accreditation.
He is a founder and the first president of The Canadian Society of Physician Executives.
He is presently a director of several boards. These include Carleton University (Board Chair), Ottawa International Airport Authority and Mach-Gaensslen Foundation (Board Chair).
He is a past director of the board of Canadian Blood Services, Accreditation Canada The Ottawa Hospital, The Ottawa Hospital Foundation, The University of Ottawa Heart Institute, The Ontario Hospital Association, Ottawa Flying Club and Ashbury College. He is a past Chair of the Ashbury College Board and Ashbury College Foundation.
Dr. Carruthers has completed the Directors Education Program sponsored by the Institute of Corporate Directors and is a certified director of the Institute of Corporate Directors.